Father James Norris
Telephone: 01873 851 051
The Abergavenny parish is part of the North Gwent Deanery within the Metropolitan Archdiocese of Cardiff. Our Archbishop, the Most Reverend George Stack was appointed on 19th April 2011, by His Holiness Pope Benedict XVI.
The church is unusual in its long history in that it has been served by members of two religious orders: the Franciscans (1687-1857) and the Benedictines (1857 - Present). Monmouthshire, the county in which Abergavenny is situated, remained loyal to the Catholic Church thanks to Fathers Philip Evans and David Lewis, members of the Society of Jesus (the Jesuits), who celebrated Mass and administered the Sacraments to the Catholics of the town and countryside. Both priests celebrated Mass in the chapel of the Gunter Mansion in Cross Street and were martyred for their faith in 1679.
The parish is very much involved ecumenically in the Abergavenny and District Council of Churches. This extends to the services held in various churches in the town during Christian Unity week in January; during Lent with Christians from other churches attending Stations of the Cross in our church as well as other activities during the course of the year.
Groups in the Parish include: Children's Liturgy; a conference of the Society of Saint Vincent de Paul, a CAFOD support group, the parish choir and APF/Missio that supports the Church in the developing world through the Red Box scheme.
Our primary school is adjacent to the church and pupils from the school regularly attend Mass in the church.
Near to the church is the Convent of the Daughters of the Holy Spirit who support the parish with their prayers, conducting Eucharistic services in the church, and visiting patients in the local hospital.
The parish benefits from the ministry of Reverend Andreas Erhardt, a permanent deacon, who is married to Heidi.
Each week we produce a newsletter with news items on the parish and other church events that might be of interest to parishioners.